Saturday, January 18, 2014

Honolulu Woohoo and Maui Wowie

Aloha,

The last two days have been a crazy whirlwind! I landed in Honolulu around 10:55 pm Thursday. The first thing I noticed when I got off the plane was a sweet smell in the air and the glorious temperature. Heaven must be somewhat like Hawaii!  When the checked luggage rolled out all of my pieces were on it, even my carry-on that I checked in MSP made the trip! I was picked up from the airport by Diane, a friend of some great Wartburg alumni (Abby and Kevin Smith). She took me to her church in downtown Honolulu so I could store my South Korea bags in her office. She then drove me to my hostel. Her kindness was much appreciated and I am quickly learning that around here, most people are just as kind as Diane.

I stayed two nights at Waikiki Beachside Hostel which happened to be a block from the beach! My first night was uneventful and after meeting my roomates, I crashed. The next morning I was up early and my first stop was Waikiki Beach. The beach is most beautiful in the morning and the flowers seem to smell the best too. I was intoxicated by the magic of the city and wandered around for an hour or so before heading to Diamond Head. My excitement may have gotten the better of me and after about five miles of walking my sandled feet were not excited. Still, the hike up Diamond Head Crater was wonderful. The views from the top... even better than the walk! Having quelched my desire to walk, I took a city bus back to my hostel and then spent the afternoon on the beach. A little sun, some swimming, and a whole lot of sand in every crevice made my afternoon perfect.

I decided to take a bus out to Pearl Harbor and I did just that. Little did I know that the visitor center closed at 5 and the bus I took went to the base NOT the visitor center. I was not let into the base, instead I was kicked out at the gate and wondered til I found another bus. After hearing some military guys say Waikiki I got on. Back I went (1.5 hrs) to Waikiki. The Navy guy (Will) in front of me was new to the island so we got off at a stop and walked the whole beach. We had fun exploring the island and even did some night swimming. Did I mention that I love Hawaii, I love the ocean, and I love that you can swim at night!!!

This morning I packed up and caught a shuttle to the airport. My airplane to Maui was so small (8 person plane) and we had to check all our bags. The flight was incredible, I even saw whales jumping!!! While on the flight I got to know the girl next to me. She was a first grade teacher in Oahu and her parents lived in Maui. She offered to drive me to the market where I would be meeting my farm family. Instead of paying for a taxi, I took her up on the offer!

For the next couple weeks, I will be living and working on Lahaina Family Farms, right outside of Lahaina. There are at least 12 other Wwoofers, and while I have only spent a couple hours here... I am going to like it. We stay in a bunker/ hanger type structure and walk up to the farm to work each day. This afternoon, 11 of us piled in a minivan and went into Lahaina. This town is adorable and I can't wait to see more of it!

At the moment, I do not know what my life will be like on this farm, but I have a good feeling about the work and the people. My posts will be hit or miss for the next couple weeks because we have no electricity or internet at our home.

Off to the beach...

Aloha!
Waikiki Beach in the morning

Top of Diamond Head Honolulu View

Top of Diamond head

My plane


3 comments:

  1. That was so kind of Diane to meet you at the airport, take you and your bags to be stored at her church and then take you to the hostel! I know you were exhausted at that point so what a blessing she was. And the teacher you met on the flight to Maui too - such nice people in Hawaii! Glad you got to enjoy Oahu a bit before heading to Maui. Enjoy the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound miserable. Maybe you should come back home... I can take your place there. It's a big sacrifice but I'd do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so uplifting to hear your adventure is off to a grand start! How amazing it is that our eyes are much more opened to the simple graces from God when we travel away from home. May His peace be ever with you as you continue to be in a "slice of heaven" and beyond!

    ReplyDelete